Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Not Altec but sure could use some guidance here

  1. #1
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My 1991 Honda has a single 6X9 subwoofer speaker mounted in the rear. Here is a photo and why it rattles is pretty evident.

    8

    This is a very wierd speaker and appears to have dual voice coils or some other oddity I am not familiar with. Here is a shot of the back.

    9

    This speaker only fits in 1991-1993 Accord wagons and they want $72 for it at honda. I was about to spring for one until I inspected it prior to purchase. The foam on the new one is pretty hard and brittle and it has probably been on the shelf for many years.

    Any one have any ideas of a way around this. I have two seperate connectors and assume these are from right and left but both are together on the left rear side and no room to add another 6X9 speaker on the right side.
    I'm also not too sure what adding a second speaker might do as far as impedence.

    Can I find a dual coil 6X9 anywhere else?

    Thanks

    Gary

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member Davidg's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2007
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just tried a google search "6x9 speaker foam kit" and it looks like there is all sorts of repair kits to DIY or places to send it for repair

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Dave, I never gave that a thought and it looks like it could be a real PITA to refoam but I am all about DIY and doing it cheap.

    Going searching now.

    Gary

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    6 X 9 New Edge Kit

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, there are car audio sites out there including a section over at diyAudio you might want to try. Good luck.

    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum...php?forumid=38

  6. #6
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My best guess is that your subwwoofer has one voice-coil for the left channel and one for the right. The speaker sums the two inputs (very common in car stereo). The inductors are probably low pass filters.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, bfish,

    Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs are known to cause this problem if played too loudly. Seriously, the twin voice coil arrangement was not uncommon. A car audio shop may have a cheaper alternative or know of other cars that used them.

    Cheers, Marshall.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Car audio is not at all my thing so I am just looking to get things working here at a relativly low cost.
    I did order the foam kit but still need some clarification.

    On the rear of the above dual coil speaker it has 4/4 ohms. Am I correct in assuming this means each coil is a 4 ohm load and that I could substitute 2-4 ohm speakers with no problem to the electronics?
    In reading at the honda sites, there is a crossover somewhere in the car, no one seems to know the exact location. If I replace this dual coil 4/4 ohm speaker with two 4 ohm speakers could this possibly over work the XO or blow it?

    I find it pretty funny that at car audio shops, very few know much about impedence and the technical aspects and most will just say throw a 6x9 speaker in there and use one side of the connector and you won't hear much difference.
    My question to that is what will the radio or crossover hear when only one side is demanding a load?
    These shops all have solutions but they all want to sell me a soup to nuts system or a set of new thumpers that will cost more then a 1991 car with over 200K miles is worth.
    In the car, I listen to news radio and have ZERO need for audio purity mixed in with all the other shakes, rattles and squeaks of an 18 year old winter beater car. I just want the radio to work.

    Gary

  9. #9
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by gamalot:
    Car audio is not at all my thing so I am just looking to get things working here at a relativly low cost.
    I did order the foam kit but still need some clarification.

    On the rear of the above dual coil speaker it has 4/4 ohms. Am I correct in assuming this means each coil is a 4 ohm load and that I could substitute 2-4 ohm speakers with no problem to the electronics?
    In reading at the honda sites, there is a crossover somewhere in the car, no one seems to know the exact location. If I replace this dual coil 4/4 ohm speaker with two 4 ohm speakers could this possibly over work the XO or blow it?

    I find it pretty funny that at car audio shops, very few know much about impedence and the technical aspects and most will just say throw a 6x9 speaker in there and use one side of the connector and you won't hear much difference.
    My question to that is what will the radio or crossover hear when only one side is demanding a load?
    These shops all have solutions but they all want to sell me a soup to nuts system or a set of new thumpers that will cost more then a 1991 car with over 200K miles is worth.
    In the car, I listen to news radio and have ZERO need for audio purity mixed in with all the other shakes, rattles and squeaks of an 18 year old winter beater car. I just want the radio to work.

    Gary
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">4 ohm speakers are the norm for car stereo because of limited voltage swing from available 12vdc power. And yes, your speaker is probably two 4 ohm voice-coils that can be replaced by two separate 4 ohm speakers. As I said earlier, the inductors (wire spools) mounted on your subwoofer are low pass filters (XO) and would need to be moved to replacement speakers. However, I agree with the first recommendation, repair the existing subwoofer surround.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you GaryZ, that makes sense.

    I have the repair kit on it's way but I also have some concern as to how long the original sub woofer was without foam suspension and just rubbing away on the VCs.

    I do have that kind of luck so I like to have an alternative plan.

    Gary

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.